How to Apply
Candidates should submit the following as one document:
1. Cover Letter / Letter of interest
3. One page statement that discusses/shares a recent experience; what was learned from this experience, and what you did with what you learned.
In order for the Career Portal system to accept a cover letter and one page statement, please include these as a page of your resume document.
The School of Social Work seeks a candidate to provide assistance with recruitment, admissions, financial aid, administrative, and student support in the Office of Student Services and Enrollment Management. The candidate in this position will work as a member of a high functioning unit with a myriad of interactions across administrative units within the School of Social Work including the Dean’s Office, Associate Deans’ Offices, MSW Program Director’s Office, the SSW Career Center and the Office of Field Education.
**This position could be filled at the Senior or Intermediate level based on qualifications.
1. Provide student services support:
- Evaluate applications for admission and attend Admission Review Team meetings
- Assist with pre-admission interviews
- Contact applicant recommenders to gather information for admissions decisions
- Review MSW admission letters for accuracy
- Create weekly admissions reports
- Serve as the lead admissions contact for Community Action Social Change (CASC), U-M Sociology + Social Work, and UM Dearborn Health and Human Services students.
2. Provide recruitment services:
- Recruit for the MSW program including in-person & virtual meetings, state and national travel to college campuses and professional conferences, informational presentations, webinars, online chat, and email outreach
- Assist with prospective student webinars and professional presentations
- Assist with assessment and analysis of recruitment efforts
- Supervise MSW student workers assisting with recruitment efforts and other office duties
3. Provide administrative & technical systems support:
- Learn FileMaker Pro database to manage office processes, fulfill data requests, and analyze recruitment efforts
- Utilize Constant Contact for student communications
- Assist with website content updates in relation to orientation and admitted student activities
4. Provide financial aid services:
- Communicate financial aid options to prospective and admitted students
- Assist with financial aid reviews for incoming and continuing MSW students for need-based scholarships, merit-based scholarships, and donor scholarships
5. Provide student services support:
- Assist with graduation planning and implementation
- Serve on SEED Orientation Task Force and assist with orientation planning & implementation
- Assist with health/mental health initiatives and support as needed
- Assist with SSW community response events
- Provide course planning to incoming MSW students
- Assist in registration auditing for incoming students
6. Assist OSS with DEI initiatives related to admissions, financial aid, and recruitment.
- Master of Social Work Degree
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, excellent problem-solving abilities, ability to understand and improve upon complex processes, strong attention to detail, and ability to coordinate multiple projects.
- Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive and confidential materials and situations.
- Ability to travel for recruitment.
- Previous experience in admissions, recruitment, financial aid, and student services activities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the University of Michigan School of Social Work MSW program.
- Proven ability to lead Diversity, Equity & Inclusion programming and initiatives within large organizations.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Application Deadline - In order to receive full consideration for your application, please submit your bid within the first seven calendar days of this posting. UM job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days and the SSW may start the review/selection process as early as the eighth day after posting. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.