- Admit, transfer and discharge patients on various inpatient units.
- Provide excellent customer service to patients, visitors, and staff.
- Process patient admission and discharge, and distribute necessary documentation.
- Answer patient calls in a professional manner.
- Process physician's orders and referrals timely.
- Respond to emergent situations in a calm, correct, and professional manner.
- Record and coordinate patient appointments and tests accurately.
- Procure supplies, equipment, and services for patients.
- Maintain census information on paper and virtually, including programming nurses to assigned phones.
- Facilitate patient transportation
- Assist in communication between nursing staff and other departments to schedule in-stay appointments such as MRI, Cath Lab, Radiology, etc.
- Promptly order STAT EKGs, Blood Products, Portable X-Ray, etc.
- Maintain an accurate visitor list.
- Monitor a child protection system. (when applicable)
- Assist with coordination of patient pick-up upon discharge.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
RATES OF PAY:
Base Hourly Rate
Mid & Evening Differential
Weekend Day Differential
Weekend Eve Differential
Weekend Night Differential
- Customer service experience.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Multitasking ability.
- Ability to maintain accuracy working with very detailed material.
- Adaptable to change.
- Data entry or computer experience.
- Excellent attendance.
- Considerable knowledge of medical terminology.
- Knowledge of Hospital policies and procedures.
- Previous experience as an inpatient clerk in a medical setting.
- Previous MiChart experience.
- Time Management skills.
- An NCS Inpatient Unit Clerk TEMP should schedule themselves to work a minimum of 32 hours per 4-week schedule block.
- Required to work 16 hours on the weekend per 4-week schedule block.
- Required to work two holidays during the calendar year.
- Hours available on all shifts.
Location: University Hospital Nursing Clerical Services
NCS Inpatient Unit Clerk Temps are expected to:
- Work all shifts requested unless no work is available.
- The intention is that all TEMPS will float to units within the specified hire area. However, the progression of orientation will be dependent upon competency, staffing needs of individual units, and the number of hours worked by the Inpatient Unit Clerk TEMP.
- NCS Inpatient Unit Clerk TEMPS will not staff Overflow areas.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.