How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position. The cover letter should specifically address why you are interested in this position, describe specific skills and experiences in your history, and directly relate them to the responsibilities of, and qualification for this position. In order for the Career Portal system to accept your cover letter, include it as the first page of your resume document.
We are looking for a Call Center Intermediate Supervisor/Shift Manager to join the Data Collection Operations Survey Services Lab (SSL) at the Institute for Social Research (ISR), Survey Research Center (SRC), Survey Research Operations (SRO). The SSL is located on the Ann Arbor campus of the University of Michigan. The SSL collects and processes high quality social science survey data.
Shift Managers in the SSL support data collection staff responsible for meeting project production and cost goals on complex surveys, requiring use of computer-assisted data collection technologies by telephone. The SSL provides telephone support to study respondents who call in with questions or need assistance. In addition, the SSL implements mail survey operations, coding, and quality control functions for survey projects. There are between 60 and 130 active telephone interviewers (temporary employees) depending on workload, and approximately 15 regular staff members. The SSL is open seven days a week, until midnight most nights. This position will be required to assist with covering the evening and weekend shifts.
More information about our organization can be found here: https://www.src.isr.umich.edu/services/survey-research-operations/
Why Work at Michigan?
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, the University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and any eligible family members, and to plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous time off
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting upon meeting eligibility requirements
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses.
Provide functional supervision to shifts of up to 60 contingent staff members completing surveys and other instruments in a call center environment; evening and weekend shifts are required. Ensure protocols are being consistently followed by staff through review and monitoring of work products; implement quality control procedures; participate in problem identification and resolution during data collection and processing period. Coordinate with project leads to schedule interviewer assignments.
Shift managers evaluate and coordinate workflow/activities across all projects in the SSL to achieve expected operational goals using a variety of proprietary and commercial software. Monitors calls/activities as necessary to ensure that performance standards are being met. Appraises interviewer productivity and efficiency for the purpose of recommending merit increases, promotions or other changes in their status. Handles employee relations, including implementing performance improvement plans when necessary. Completes payroll.
May intercede on incoming telephone calls with difficult customers and/or calls requiring in-depth knowledge of the organization's studies and operations.
Develop and implement contingent staff recruitment strategies; recruit, screen, hire, and train data collection staff; develop training plans and materials; implement general training programs.
- Bachelor’s degree with three or more years of management/supervisory experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- An individual must exhibit strong leadership skills, possess a professional and positive image when interacting with others. They must also adhere to a high standard of personal and professional conduct; possess excellent customer service, interpersonal, and communication skills; and have demonstrated ability to interact with a diverse population and effectively manage and lead staff.
- Candidates must be able to work effectively with a team, handling multiple responsibilities and priorities in a fast-paced environment and under tight deadlines. In addition, candidates must demonstrate flexible and creative problem-solving skills and critical thinking.
- Experience training, evaluating, and effectively providing coaching/feedback to employees.
- Demonstrated ability to compose instructions, memorandum and training materials.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills and demonstrated competence in MS Office software and Google Workplace.
- Evening and weekend on-site (Ann Arbor office) shifts are required for this position.
- Experience working in a call center environment
- Experience scheduling appointments and/or staffing
- Experience utilizing call center software, such as Aspect or Cisco
- Experience utilizing Workforce Management software such as UKG Ready or PeopleSoft
- Experience with computer assisted interviewing (CAI) software and experience using and developing technical systems designed to collect and organize data.
The schedule must support shift management needs of a seven-day-per-week operations environment. Evening and weekend shifts are required.
The Institute for Social Research at the University of Michigan wants to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the university, and to ground our research in varied disciplines, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of fourteen calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations, including boosters when eligible, are required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working remotely. More information on this new policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the UM-Dearborn and UM-Flint websites.