How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are important submissions for the hiring team to get a sense of your experience. In the cover letter, in two pages or less, please let us know how this role aligns with your career aspirations and skill set. Submit both a cover letter and resume as one file (because of system limitations).
The Center for Academic Innovation at the University of Michigan is seeking a qualified multimedia producer—a creative thinker and visual storyteller who can oversee the planning and execution of multimedia assets for online courses, promotional content and other learning experiences. The ideal candidate will collaborate frequently with multiple teams, departments, and stakeholders to find innovative solutions that enable the successful completion of complex multimedia projects. This hands-on-role supports a team in identifying, evaluating, and addressing the continuous improvement of workflow processes and opportunities while also executing high-quality content through expert video writing, shooting, and editing. The Multimedia Producer will report to the Media Design & Production Lead.
Learning and working in environments designed for equity and inclusivity are necessary for the U-M community to make progress on solving the problems that matter most to society. In addition to collaborating with faculty and staff on projects that explicitly focus on DEI, the Center for Academic Innovation uses inclusive design processes in all of our work. All interested applicants, including those from groups historically underrepresented in higher education, are encouraged to apply
Who We Are
About the Center for Academic Innovation
The Center for Academic Innovation is where creativity, excellence, and the University of Michigan’s aspirations for societal impact combine to reimagine the future of higher education. Through curricular innovation, educational data and research, and educational technology, we position U-M as a global leader in academic innovation to create and inspire change in higher education and to reinforce an engaged and informed society. About the Media Design Team We help online learning experiences come alive for millions of learners around the world. With top-end production facilities on campus, we are a vital resource to ensure that faculty get the video and audio production expertise, support, and coaching they need during the production of online courses. Our team helps faculty through the production process so they can focus on what they do best — deliver life-changing education to millions of learners around the world. For more information, please visit our website: Academic Innovation.
About the Media Design Team
We help online learning experiences come alive for millions of learners around the world. With top-end production facilities on campus, we are a vital resource to ensure that faculty get the video and audio production expertise, support, and coaching they need during the production of online courses. Our team helps faculty through the production process so they can focus on what they do best — deliver life-changing education to millions of learners around the world.
- Strong ability to establish and execute a creative vision and production plan for multimedia projects
- Work with project stakeholders to understand and capture objectives
- Actively contributes to all aspects of producing original digital content including conceptualizing, pre-production, production, and post-production
- Strong writing skills, including the ability to write long- and short-form scripts
- Familiarity with all aspects of field production, including but not limited to: developing a production schedule, identifying and securing locations, reserving equipment, and making transportation arrangements
- Ability to prioritize work and resources across short- and long-term projects
- Partner with a range of CAI teams to develop cohesive cross-team workflows to support marketing projects, XR initiatives, internal promotion projects, MOOCs, Teach-Outs, and other online learning experiences
- Advancing the department’s visual storytelling and promotional goals
- Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of related experience (digital media production, broadcasting, educational technology, or closely related field) or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Ability to lead and teach all aspects of studio and field productions
- Significant experience in using Final Cut Pro X and Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience collaborating with production teams with the ability to identify areas of stress and to deliver solutions to pending issues
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, techniques, technology, and standards of digital media production for global audiences
- Working knowledge of graphic design principles with ability to conceptualize compelling visuals to support multimedia projects
- Portfolio providing examples of multimedia video work, providing the roles you played on the selected projects. Please provide examples of scripts you have written in this portfolio
- Exceptional communication skills
Please Note: This is a 5 year term limited position with the possibility of renewal depending on funding. This is not a remote position and any adjustments to a standard in-person schedule will be discussed during the hiring process. The salary for this position will be based upon the selected candidate’s education and experience. Must have legal authorization to work in the United States. Excellent benefits are available, for details, see http://benefits.umich.edu/
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Decision Making Process
Applications will be reviewed as received throughout the posting period and continue until the position is filled.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations, including boosters when eligible, are required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working remotely. More information on this new policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the UM-Dearborn and UM-Flint websites.