The Revenue Cycle Analytics and Reporting team is in search of a Business Intelligence Analyst (BIA) to assist in transforming data into insightful information that will improve the value of our business and improve Revenue Cycle Operations and Revenue optimization. The BIA is responsible for managing data retrieval, assists with creating high performing data models, creates compelling visualizations and performs complex analysis to solve complex business problems. They manage and or administer the design and development of data structures and extracts to support comprehensive data collection, loading and extraction for complex reporting and analysis. They assist with providing analytical tools that assist in identifying and solving complex operational problems. They develop detailed timelines and requirements, identify risks, and create documentation to support the work, provide status and escalate issues. The BIA manages multiple projects simultaneously and coordinates with others as needed. A successful candidate will possess advanced technical skills as well as excellent communication skills. The BI Analyst will work with Revenue Cycle and other Michigan Medicine leaders and customers and work closely with Health System Information Technology and Support (HITS).
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations, and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research, and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Develops, maintains, and manages business intelligence solutions for Revenue Cycle including the design of report formats, graphical representations of data for audiences ranging from senior leaders, managers, and the general users
- Conducts, coordinates, and analyzes business requirements and processes,
- Recommends, tests, and implements appropriate solutions, evaluates performance
- Manages data retrieval and extracts and creates high performing data models for reporting and dashboards
- Collaborate with team members and customers for the purpose of collecting data and executing solutions
- Compare and evaluate various course of action
- Maintains deep subject matter expertise on Revenue Cycle data (Epic)
- Creates compelling dashboards and visualizations using Tableau and other reporting tools
- Manages multiple data and reporting project simultaneously
- Automates extracts and maintenance activities
- Ensures to quality standards and facilitates improvements
Required Qualifications Senior Level
- A minimum of 5 years progressively responsible experience in data analysis, extraction, and visualization
- Bachelor’s degree in health care, business, Computer Science, informatics, or related field
- Proficiency in the use of data analytic and BI reporting tools such as Tableau, SQL, SAS Excel, or other BI tools
- Experience or the ability to gain expertise in using MiChart and querying Epic’s Clarity databases
- Understand of data base structures and data architecture relevant to the development of dynamic reporting
- Strong customer service skills and commitment to excellence
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal, written and visual presentation skills
- Ability to anticipate requests and needs in advance and plan accordingly
- Skills to work effectively across internal functional areas in ambiguous situations
Required for Intermediate Level
- Bachelor’s degree in health care, business, computer science
- A minimum of 3 years of progressively responsible experience in data analysis, extraction, and visualization
- Ability to develop and maintain proficiency in the use of analytic and reporting tools such as SQL, SAS, Tableau or other BI tools
- Clarify certification
- Tableau and SQL experience
- Experience using EPIC Revenue Cycle data
This position may be under filled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications/experience level of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Although the Posting End Date may indicate otherwise, this job opening may be filled and closed any time after a posting duration of seven calendar days.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations, including boosters when eligible, are required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working remotely. More information on this new policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the UM-Dearborn and UM-Flint websites.