How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline experience that directly relate to this position.
Michigan Dining is comprised of twenty-one on-campus cafes and markets, nine residential dining halls, a line of Blue to Go foods and the Michigan Catering unit. Our 300 professional and 2000 student employees are committed to creative, healthy and nutritious foods, international cuisines and sustainability throughout all dining operations.
Work in cooperation with Assistant Manager, Catering Manager, Sales and Culinary teams to oversee the Catering event from start to finish; monitor attendance and performance, scheduling temporary employee labor, and stressing customer service to ensure the Catering event exceeds the customer's expectations. You will report to the Catering Manager.
Click here to view full job description.
What You'll Do
- Oversight of catering operations including events, management of the floor, and engaging with client contacts daily.
- Stand in as Manager on Duty when Asst. Manager and Catering Manager are unavailable.
- Take the lead on the planning and execution of assigned programs, including scheduling and monitoring of all logistical and support service arrangements.
- Supervise and direct 3 or more temporary employees (including student temps) that are assigned to events which includes managing operations, management of the floor, and engaging with client contacts.
- Communicate all steps of service, guidelines, and facts to employees during pre-shift meetings and training.
Why Work at Michigan?
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous time off
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
Skills You Have
- High School diploma or an equivalent combination of education and 1 year of experience in food related field.
- Our Captains must become ServSafe and TIPS certified within 60 days from date of hire as a condition of employment. Certification must be maintained as a condition of employment.
This role may have reporting obligations under Title IX and Clery.
Authorization to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment and applicants for this position will not be sponsored for work visas.
Salary may vary depending on qualifications, experience, and education of the selected candidate.
Selected candidates whose start date is 4/1/23 or after, will not be eligible for the university salary/merit plan in 2023 unless otherwise notified.
Relocation will not be offered for this position.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.