How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The University of Michigan Biological Station (UMBS) seeks an experienced, strategic, and enthusiastic storyteller to join our staff as a Marketing and Communication Specialist. We are looking for someone who can translate, communicate, and engage in science with our research, undergraduate, alumni and northern MI communities. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds to bring their creativity and experience to our community.
UMBS is a biological field research station, located in northern Michigan. For more than 100 years, we have been exploring how the natural world works though research and education. This position will be based onsite in Ann Arbor during the fall and winter terms and at the UMBS campus in Pellston, Michigan June 1 – August 15 (via multiple stays or a continuous residency). We will also consider staff who want to live in northern MI year-round with trips to Ann Arbor. You will report to the Biological Station Director and Associate Director.
Marketing and Communications Specialist’s responsibilities include:
Develop and implement a communications strategy for UMBS
- Create and manage the communications schedule
- Design and distribute effective messages and materials to:
- Recruit students and researchers with the goal of increasing the diversity of academic and research program participants within U-M and beyond
- Produce regular communications (newsletters, email updates for the UMBS community)
- Coordinate external communications to increase awareness of scientific contributions and impacts of UMBS-based research and programming
- Build networks with UM and regional news organizations by contributing regular article ideas
- Manage website content and social media messaging
- Develop and lead plan to recruit undergraduate students for all Biological Station programs. Select, train, and coordinate student ambassadors for campus outreach presentations and events
Outreach & Development
- Improve the way we communicate our science and engage with internal University and external communities
- Develop and implement community engagement opportunities for UMBS, inlcuding, creating outreach opportunities for northern Michigan communities by hosting engagement activities such as talks, science days and open houses
- Develop, coordinate, and host public, donor, and alumni events for the Biological Station at UMBS and Ann Arbor
* Organize and lead tours of the Biological Station
* Organize and promote annual lecture series based at the station and regional venues to engage with the northern Michigan and Ann Arbor community
* Be the on-site lead for LSA Advancement development events
- Coordinate UMBS fundraising strategies by providing written materials and logistical organization. Track and prepare gift stewardship and donor correspondence
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future.
- 3+ years of professional experience in communications, community engagement or related fields or a combination of education and experience
- Excellent interpersonal, project management, and communication (oral, written, visual design) skills
- The ability to generate a variety of high-quality written material for different audiences on a short timeline
- Previous experience creating and implementing successful recruitment or marketing communication plans
- Team oriented with a willingness to work collaboratively to reach team goals and experience working with a diversity of people and groups
- Ability to work independently and keep supervisors updated on your progress
- IT skills, such as producing newsletters, articles, press releases, website, social media, digital advertising, and/or other media communications
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite (or similar), Mailchimp (or similar), creating video content, using social media
- Experience with effective science translation and engagement
- Experience in developing marketing or brand strategy
- Training in diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI)
As one of the world’s great liberal arts colleges, LSA pushes the boundaries of what is understood about the human experience and the natural world, and we foster the next generation of rigorous and empathetic thinkers, creators, and contributors to the state of Michigan, the nation, and the world.
To learn more about diversity, equity, and inclusion in LSA, please visit lsa.umich.edu/lsa/dei.
To learn more about LSA’s Mission, Vision and Values, please visit lsa.umich.edu/strategicvision.
Benefits at the University of Michigan
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous time off
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations, including one booster when eligible, are required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working remotely and temporary workers. More information on this new policy is available on the U-M Health Response website or the UM-Dearborn and UM-Flint websites.