The Division of Public Safety and Security (DPSS) manages all police and security operations at the University of Michigan and offers an integrated approach to safety and security, partnering across the University to provide a safe community while improving the quality of life for all those living, learning, working, healing and visiting our community. Guest Service Specialists (GSS) are members of DPSS and report to the GSS Supervisor, under the direction of Michigan Medicine Security Deputy Director.
You will provide guest relations functions and security screening and are the first contact for staff, patients, families and visitors. You will facilitate a safe environment for patients, families and visitors, providing service beyond expectations.
Why Work at Michigan?
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, the University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous time off
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
- Use your customer service skills and inclusive mindset to respectfully work with all community members
- Anticipate customer needs and use your problem solving skills to find constructive solutions to difficult situations
- Be the initial greeter for all individuals entering the buildings
- Handle protected health information with confidentiality and discretion
- Communicate with community members verbally, by phone and email and security radio
- Create and issue ID badges and screen individuals according to security protocols
- Offer assistance for way-finding, parking validation, deliveries and other requested information
- Uphold visitation and other applicable policies, procedures, guidelines and restrictions
- Monitor the immediate environment, report any suspicious activity to Michigan Medicine Security and share relevant information
- Assist during emergencies that may include fire, natural disasters and health-related situations
- Move throughout the building to assist our patients and families
- Graduation from high school or GED.
- At least six months experience in a customer service field
- Demonstrated commitment to a respectful, inclusive environment
- Interest in handling large volumes of customers in a healthcare setting and balancing multiple priorities
- Demonstrated proficiency with standard business software applications including Microsoft and Google applications
All members of the Division of Public Safety and Security (DPSS) are considered Campus Security Authorities (CSAs) under The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. As such, you are required to report Clery reportable offenses that come to your attention. DPSS employees are required to complete Clery Compliance Training within the first 14 days of employment and annually thereafter.
This position is a 100% regular appointment and is 40 hours per week. The department is a seven (7) day per week, twenty-four (24) hour per day operation. Work schedules are typically 12 hour shifts and may include extended shifts, nights, weekends, afternoons, holidays and occasional unanticipated overtime. You must pass a thorough background investigation and drug screening.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations, including one booster when eligible, are required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working remotely and temporary workers. More information on this new policy is available on the U-M Health Response website or the UM-Dearborn and UM-Flint websites.