How to Apply
Please attach a cover letter as the first page of your resume. It should address your specific interest in the position and outline your skills and related experience.
You will work with a small, diverse team committed to delivering high-quality products through modern development practices. If you desire to operate in a startup environment but have your nights and weekends as your own, ICPSR could be your organization. If you love creating secure code with automated tests in an Agile environment, we want to talk to you!
You will report to a Computing & Networking Services development manager.
Why Work at Michigan?
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, the University of Michigan offers an excellent benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and any eligible family members, and plan for a secure future.
- Develop secure code in an Agile framework
- Write automated test cases for your code
- Analyze requirements, design software modules, and document design specifications
- Provide technical consulting, assist the technical lead in making architectural decisions, perform code reviews, coach junior team members
- Work with the team in an Agile environment by participating in daily stand-ups, sprint planning, and estimation meetings
- Other tasks as assigned
Additional Aspects of the Appointment
We have a separate devops team with an on-call rotation that handles most real time issues. However, this job may require occasional work outside normal working hours to analyze and correct critical problems that arise in ICPSR's 24/7 operational environment.
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science or a related field, or a combination of education and equivalent experience
- 4 or more years of relevant work experience.
- Back-end development secure applications with Java, Spring framework or Spring Boot.
- Experience with SQL, ORM technologies such as Hibernate or JPA, and relational databases such as Oracle or Postgres.
- Experience with test automation using tools such as JUnit or Jest.
- Experience with AWS, or similar cloud services
This position allows flexible scheduling and a remote, hybrid, or fully on-site work environment.
This will be filled at the senior level salary range of $100,000-115,000. Candidates with lesser experience are encouraged to apply and may be considered at the intermediate level with a salary range of $80,000-95,000.
The Institute for Social Research (ISR) at the University of Michigan seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the university, and to ground our research in varied disciplines, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning. For more about ISR’s commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, please click here.
Institute for Social Research job openings are posted for a minimum of fourteen (14) calendar days. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations, including one booster when eligible, are required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working remotely and temporary workers. More information on this new policy is available on the U-M Health Response website or the UM-Dearborn and UM-Flint websites.