Apply Now


The University of Michigan Children's Centers have openings for Substitute teaching assistants to assist in our early childhood programs. 

The U-M has three early childhood programs on the Ann Arbor campus providing care for children from 3 months to 5 years of age. Our centers provide care for close to 500 children of faculty, staff and students from all over the world. The centers employ over 120 staff members and undergraduate student assistants. The play-based curriculum is designed by teams of teachers to meet the needs and interests of the children. We maintain low teacher to child ratios so relationships can flourish. Additional information about the U-M Children's Centers can be found at www.childcare.umich.edu

As a teaching assistant, you would support the teachers in our infant, toddler and preschool classrooms. You would work with children, families and coworkers from diverse backgrounds, cultures and abilities and gain knowledge about the early childhood profession.

We prefer candidates with experience working in an early childhood group setting. Must be able to move with children to fully participate in classroom and outdoor activities which may include lifting objects up to 40 lbs.

Weekly schedules/hours can vary based on program needs and your availability.  Many of our teaching assistants regularly work 40 hours per week but part time schedules can also be accommodated. 

University Human Resources seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning.

U-M EEO/AA Statement

The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.

U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy

COVID-19 vaccinations, including one booster when eligible, are required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all campuses, including Michigan Medicine.  This includes those working remotely and temporary workers.   More information on this new policy is available on the U-M Health Response website or the UM-Dearborn and UM-Flint websites.