- Develops and implements a comprehensive orientation and education program for CSPD staff.
- Conducts and incorporates an annual needs assessment for competency of staff
- Works with all Education Staff to provide individualized orientation and education for all instrument care and CSPD Staff
- Develops and implements annual education and certification review workshops.
- Coordinates education/in-service schedules
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Coordinate and evaluate staff education
- Provide education, consultation, support for CSPD staff to study and prepare for the testing and certification examination
- Collaborate with and act as a liaison with other departments to facilitate patient care (Nursing Educators [ENCs] for OR, PACU, and Anesthesia , CSPD and OR/PACU Management Team, Surgical and Anesthesia Faculty)
- Provide education, consultation, support
- Networking/information gathering
- Update educational materials and articles for recertification
- Monitor recertification of staff as required
- Provide or develop In-services for certification to all UMHS Surgery departments.
- Uses principles from theories of adult learning, organizational development, systems, and change and quality management.
- Establishes a facilitative relationship with learners of all sorts.
- Uses systematic approaches and appropriate measurement methods to assess and develop competence of personnel.
- Conducts needs assessments.
- Involves the learner in the assessment of needs and identification of outcomes.
- Identifies and prioritizes educational needs of staff.
- Facilitates the adult learning process.
- Implements educational activities.
- Selects and uses audiovisuals appropriately.
- Uses appropriate teaching strategies and presentation methods.
- Provides a climate conducive to learning (mutual respect, trust, openness, supportive and safe)
- Provides up-to-date and accurate resources and materials.
- Promotes concept of lifelong learning.
- Promotes critical thinking and problem solving.
- Maintains educational standards.
- Ensures that presenters of educational programs receive feedback.
- Collaborates with managers, staff members, peers, other departments and community to plan and implement educational programs.
- Demonstrates expertise in the use of computers for instruction and/or communication with colleagues.
- Maintains documentation and record keeping system.
- Uses various quality management strategies to continuously improve staff development programs.
- Conducts Central Processing certification review courses for CSPD staff
- Facilitates learning opportunities in CSPD practice for Surgical Technology students from local colleges.
- Facilitates learning opportunities in CSPD practice for Registered Nurse Interns.
- Plans, conducts and evaluates programs designed to achieve skill proficiency.
- Manages staff development programs congruent with the organization’s vision statement and goals.
- Uses problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Supports the integration of research into practice.
- Seeks opportunities to apply the performance improvement process.
- Professional Performance Role
- Integrates ethical principles, professional standards, and evidence-based practice in all aspects of practice.
- Participates on committees, task forces, projects, and other meetings.
- Seeks opportunities to continue to develop the various staff development roles.
- Maintains educational and/or clinical competencies appropriate to role.
- Promotes a safe and healthy work environment.
- Facilitates the initiation and adoption of change.
- Demonstrates flexibility.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Determines and/or revises priorities for scheduled and unscheduled education activities.
- Participates in classes related to clinical specialty and the practice of adult education.
- Models behavior that reflects continued personal and professional growth.
- Consistently demonstrates University of Michigan Customer Service Standards.
- CSPD certification
- Associates or Bachelor's degree in the Health Care related field, Administration, Business, Education, Sciences, or other related field.
- 3-5 years experience in Central Processing required.
- Ability to demonstrate University of Michigan Health Care customer service standards and behaviors.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills to clearly express ideas and techniques.
- Experience precepting and teaching adult learners.
- Knowledge of adult learning principles, teaching/learning concepts, clinical evaluations, coaching and providing feedback
- Interpersonal, educational and clinical knowledge and skills necessary to effectively teach CSPD personnel.
- Creative thinking; analytical, problem solving and independent decision-making abilities; self-direction; theoretical knowledge and skill in course/program development, implementation and evaluation, including knowledge of construction and of diverse teaching methods.
- Organized, self-motivated, good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Dynamic and energetic.
- Strong clinical skills in Central Processing.
- Experience in adult education preferred
- Knowledge of CW Mott OR and hospital clinics instrumentation is preferred.
- Qualified internal applicants shall be considered before external applicants
Flexible hours, Monday- Friday, shift work required when necessary.
- Education Specialist
- CSPD Staff
- OR staff
- Healthcare personnel throughout the hospital
- CSPD Management team
- Nursing Management team
- Nurse Educators
- Other health care professionals
- Professional organization representatives and Colleagues
- Community hospitals requesting educational guidance
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.