How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your speciic interest in the position, include your salary requirements, and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. If possible, please include a link to your electronic portfolio/dossier as part of your resume.
What You'll Do
In this position, you will be empowered in a highly autonomous engineering role within a collaborative team leveraging modern technologies, languages and approaches. Work with complex data and cloud based solutions. Be part of a dynamic multi-disciplinary team that focuses on creativity and impact; automation and iteration.
The engineer selected for this position will play a critical role in advancing and exploring the cutting-edge of software innovation at the University of Michigan. They will operate across a wide range of exciting new projects and technologies with a focus on creating and evolving automated and scalable solutions for large multi-source data pipelines and enterprise deployment infrastructure to to advance high-priority software innovations.
Who We Are
About the Educational Technology Team
As a DevOps Engineer at the Center for Academic Innovation, you will play a key role on the Education Technology team. This team is made up of diverse skill sets and individuals, including Software Developers, UX Designers, QA Analysts, DevOps Engineers, Data Scientists and Behavioral Scientists. We work collaboratively to apply our expertise to create innovative solutions, tools and technologies to the big challenges in education, enabling innovative learning and personalization at scale across the U-M community and beyond.
About the Center for Academic Innovation
The Center for Academic Innovation is where creativity, excellence, and the University of Michigan’s aspirations for societal impact combine to reimagine the future of higher education. Through curricular innovation, educational data and research, and educational technology, we position U-M as a global leader in academic innovation to create and inspire change in higher education and to reinforce an engaged and informed society.
- Develop and deploy applications based on defined requirements and project timelines
- Create scripts and packages to access, transform and transfer data from databases and APIs
- Program logical interfaces and apply techniques for effcient program logic and data manipulation.
- Develop conversion and system implementation plans.
- Write and maintain deployment scripts, batch tasks and ETL processes
- Streamline application deployment processes to facilitate rapid releases onto robust infrastructure
- Support production applications and work with the team to resolve service interruptions and degradations
- Ensure application, infrastructure and data security through use of industry standard practices
- Maintain technical familiarity and expertise with the evolution of mainstream and emerging technologies
- Employing a pragmatic approach by understanding the tradeoffs between a perfect solution and a working solution
- Working closely with the team to solve problems, transfer knowledge, and develop software architecture and designs
Skills You Have
- You are a self-driven team contributor who enjoys conceiving and implementing solutions to complex real world problems. You think in terms of abstraction, modularity and reuse. You architect your projects to address the situation in front of you and optimize for future flexibility. You know how to work backward to address a problem rather than accept a solution.
- You are known for your forward-looking mindset, anticipating needs and opportunities before they emerge. You believe in iteration and think in terms of effciency and sustainability, pursuing automation and reducing points of failure. You take pride in the work you deliver and are known for the quality of your releases. You set ambitious goals and realistic milestones.
- You are valued as a team member and thought partner. You are comfortable presenting your ideas to your team and stakeholders. You are a skilled and enthusiastic collaborator who works well in team settings, knowing where to listen to the expertise of others and when to lead with your own.
- You think from the user perspective and challenge yourself and your collaborators to think about impact and design solutions to identifiable challenges. You have experience creating something new and helping projects realize their potential.
- A cover letter attached as the first page of your resume which includes your salary requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information, Computer Engineering or a related field and 2+ years of professional software development experience, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- Experience deploying applications at scale using industry-standard practices such as Docker, OpenShift, Heroku, Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud
- Experience working with server side scripting languages such as Python or Ruby
- Experience with shell scripting and package based deployments (bash, pip, npm)
- Experience working with relational database platforms (e.g.: MySQL, PostgreSQL or Oracle)
- Hold strong attention to detail and concern for information accuracy
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work well in a multicultural and collaborative environment
- May require on-call availability on team rotation outside of normal working hours
- May require occasional work during non-business hours and on weekends
- This position will report to the Software Development Lead at the Center for Academic Innovation
- The salary for this position will be based upon the selected candidate’s education and experience
- This role is intended as a hybrid role (some amount of time in-office in Ann Arbor, some remote)
- This position must be based in the United States
- This is a 5 year term limited position with the possibility of renewal depending on funding
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, the University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefitts package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous time off, including vacation time, sick time, holiday and season days
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
For additional Benefits and Wellness details, see http://benefits.umich.edu/
The general salary range for this position is $70,000 - $82,000. Candidates can expect to be paid a competitive and equitable salary. Factors used to determine salary include experience, knowledge and skills for the position and internal equity within the unit. All candidates are encouraged to discuss salary questions to honor alignment and transparency throughout the recruiting process.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The Center for Academic Innovation (CAI) is committed to inclusion in our organizational work, culture, climate, and the products we create. We strive to recruit, develop, and retain a diverse team as a reaction of our commitment to our work designing equitable and inclusive learning and work environments that are necessary for the university community to make progress on solving societal challenges. CAI draws on each of our team member’s unique backgrounds and experiences to guide our everyday work in the center, and our team collaborates with students, staff, and faculty on projects that center our commitment to DEIJ work. All interested applicants, including those from groups historically marginalized by educational privilege, are encouraged to apply.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Decision Making Process
Applications will be reviewed as received throughout the posting period and continue until the position is fllled.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.