How to Apply
Please apply through UM Careers site with the following as one PDF.
(1) Cover letter (2-3 pages) which includes a summary of your research interests, personal research goals and objectives, and appraisal of your fit to the position.
(2) Curriculum vita
(3) Name, affiliation, and email address of two references, one of whom should be in an academic position and familiar with your research
The University of Michigan School of Information seeks to hire a postdoctoral scholar to conduct research in the area of accessible voice technologies. The desired start date is flexible but will be sometime between January - May 2023.
This scholar will work closely with Dr. Robin Brewer at the University of Michigan School of Information on her NSF-funded research project “Voice Technologies for Helping Older Adults Navigate Uncertain Information in Decision Making,” focused on designing and evaluating accessible voice interfaces. The aim of this project is to develop voice assistant features that nudge older adults to consider content credibility when searching with voice technologies. There will also be opportunities to present work in the Accessibility, Human-Computer interaction, and Aging (AHA) lab, an interdisciplinary research group across Information, Computer Science and Engineering, and Arts and Design fields.
Note: This is a one-year appointment renewable up to one additional year, pending satisfactory job performance.
Research work will include organizing and running a series of prototype testing sessions with older adults, analyzing qualitative data (e.g., interviews), and analyzing quantitative data (Likert scale data using ANOVA, rank data using Friedman’s testing), conducting literature reviews, and collaboratively writing academic publications. There may also be opportunities to mentor undergraduate or master’s students on project-related activities.
- PhD in Information, Human-Computer Interaction, Computer Science, Communication, or a related field awarded by the anticipated start date
- Experience evaluating systems or prototypes (e.g., prototype testing, field deployments) using human-centered approaches
- Strong publication record
- Independent researcher, well-organized, and detail oriented
- Experience designing or evaluating voice technologies
- Knowledge of behavior change literature
- Track record of conducting research with older adults or other marginalized populations
- Administrative skills like participant recruitment and scheduling
40 hours per week; some flexibility in when those work hours occur if good communication and close coordination practices are in place.
Working in-person in Ann Arbor would be our strong preference, as the prototype evaluation sessions will likely be in person in the Ann Arbor or Detroit area. A shared office in North Quad (the School of Information building) will be provided. However, there may be opportunities to work remotely and we can make short-term travel arrangements for in-person prototype testing. Candidates must be able to conduct work in the United States. Employment outside of the United States or from a U.S. Territory is not allowable. Applicants must be lawfully able to be employed in the United States; sponsorship to obtain such status is not available at this time.
The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family, and plan for a secure future. For more information about Postdoctoral benefits, please visit the benefits website.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.