The Administrative Core within the Institute for Social Research (ISR) provides administrative support to three centers (Center for Political Studies, Research Center for Group Dynamics and the Population Studies Center). The Administrative Core is seeking an Admin/Project Coordinator Associate to provide general programmatic coordination and administrative support for two large Demography training programs within the Population Studies Center of the Institute for Social Research, including the Training in the Demography and Economics of Aging program funded by the National Institute on Aging (NIA) and the Social Science Training Program in Population Studies funded by the Eunice Kennedy National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD). This position will report to the Population Studies Training Program Manager of the Administrative Core.
This position is a term-limited, 75% position (30 hours a week) currently set to end on 08/31/2024, but has the potential for annual renewal based on performance and funding availability. The salary range for this position will be pro-rated based on the 75% appointment.
Why Work at Michigan?
Benefits at the University of Michigan
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and any eligible family members and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous time off
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting upon meeting eligibility requirements
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
Program Record & Data Maintenance and Compliance Support:
- Collection, input and maintenance of trainee and alumni data, and running reports as needed, in multiple databases including the PSC training program database, the NIH xTract system for sponsor reporting (RPPR) and UM's Mfactir database for cross-program data sharing.
- Log and track program compliance and certification status for all trainees, providing attendance sheets and information for training leadership and providing key information on missed sessions and required make-up assignments. Send out certification renewal reminders and assure that trainee compliance records are up-to-date in the training program database.
- As needed, work with the training program manager and central ISR research staff to compile publication lists and to assure publications are in compliance with the NIH public access policy for NIH annual reports.
Support for Program Plans and Initiatives:
- Under the direction of the Training Program Manager, assist in program recruitment activities for pre- and post-doctoral trainees including tracking funding commitments, posting advertisements, assisting with administration of Interfolio system for application collection, and other recruitment tasks as requested.
- Facilitate annual trainee onboarding/off-boarding and other trainee-engaged activities.
- Work with leadership on all programmatic event logistics including room scheduling, sending calendar invitations, hosting support, and coordination with ISR Communications office for website updates, coordination of event promotion, and video archiving.
- Coordination of the trainee small grants program including call for proposals, application collection, tracking of awards, assuring that report deadlines are met and providing key information and reporting to stakeholders such as training program leadership, and ISR Development office.
- Coordinate training program alumni communications and engagement.
Assistance with Program Purchasing, Reimbursement, and Financial Management:
- Assist with coordination of program purchasing.
- Tracking small grant and travel award financials.
- Processing reimbursements for travel and other expenses as requested. Assuring that awarded support is within trainee allocation limits and using the appropriate fund sources for support.
- Alongside the financial management of the program manager, assist with financial reconciliation and reporting as needed.
- High school diploma or GED
- 2-3 years previous clerical/secretary/administrative experience
- Experience with Google mail, Google Calendars and Google Drive
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel spreadsheets
- Experience with use of databases: data entry, maintenance and reporting
- Excellent organizational skills and a high degree of attention to detail and accuracy is a must
- Able to set priorities and handle multiple assignments and deadlines
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential materials and situations
- Customer service oriented
- Bachelor's degree
- Experience with bookkeeping
- Experience with project coordination and event planning
- Experience working in a higher education or school setting
- Familiarity with UM Policies, procedures, and organizational structure
This position may be eligible for hybrid remote and/or flexible work opportunities at the discretion of the hiring department. Flexible work agreements are reviewed annually and are subject to change dependent on the business needs of the hiring department, throughout the course of employment.
The Institute for Social Research at the University of Michigan wants to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the university, and to ground our research in varied disciplines, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Institute for Social Research job openings are posted for a minimum of fourteen (14) calendar days. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.