Note: To be considered for this position, candidates must include a cover letter specifying their interest in and qualifications for this position. The cover letter should be the first page of your resume and uploaded as one document.
As a comprehensive performing arts school set in one of the world’s finest public institutions of higher education, the School of Music, Theatre & Dance (SMTD) is deeply engaged in the creation, practice, scholarship, and pedagogy of music, theatre, and dance. We aim to provide leadership, nationally and internationally, in all three fields. We assert and celebrate the value of the arts to the mission of the University of Michigan. Further, SMTD is strongly committed to diversity and inclusion as a means of achieving and sustaining excellence.
The Piano Technician will offer expertise and knowledge to assess a piano’s condition and employ proper techniques to achieve the most accurate pitch, tone and operation. This position will join a team of professional piano technicians and report to the Director of Piano Technology.
- Responsibilities will align with the select candidates skill set and experience. Training is available for those candidates that have limited experiences; ongoing training will be made available to enhance one's skill set.
- Duties may include, tuning, repair, and restoration of pianos including keyboards and actions;
- Perform tuning, repair and restoration in many locations throughout the University. Specific work will be assigned based on skill level.
- Must provide stable tunings in high-demand, high-use environments
- High School Diploma with technical training from a recognized school of piano technology, college graduate with courses in piano technology, or apprenticeship with a highly- skilled piano technician
- Must be an aural tuner; able to apply advanced temperament checks and techniques
- Ability to work nights and weekends, when needed.
- Experience working with diverse communities and cultures
- Must be able to work independently in a high demand, high use environment
- Must have excellent communication skills, including writing skills and e-mail etiquette
- This position involves traveling to various locations on and off campus to conduct assessments and deliver materials
- 2-5 years of piano tuning experience
- RPT status in the Piano Technician Guild is highly desirable
- Experience working in an institutional setting, such as a school, conservatory, or piano house
- General music background desirable
- Bachelor of Music highly desirable
- Experience with and knowledge of the methodologies and design of Steinway pianos is highly sought.
Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
A pre-employment background check must be conducted before a candidate may receive a firm offer of employment to a staff position at the University of Michigan.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.