Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- 2:1 Match on retirement savings
- Perform gross of simple biopsies (if CAP qualified) , processing of tissue, embedding, microtomy, staining, coverslipping, and frozen sectioning in an efficient manner according to established policies, procedures and protocols in a high volume academic environment
- Perform immunohistochemical stains, direct immunofluorescence, musclehistochemistry and histochemical stains
- Maintains accurate records of quality assurance and quality control
- Maintains all lab equipment in a safe, efficient manner, in accordance with established guidelines
- Perform specimen accessioning to include all manual and computerized data entry
- Performs other duties as assigned
In order to be considered for this position the applicant must have met or will have met all the required qualifications prior to the start date of employment.
- Bachelor's Degree and 2 years of experience, or completion of an accredited histotechnology program required for the Histotechnologist classification.
- Knowledge of general laboratory practices and programs.
- Knowledge of all aspects of Surgical Pathology (i.e. grossing, microtomy, immunohistochemistry, special stains, electron microscopy, etc.).
- Professional and collegial communication skills necessary to work closely with peers in an academic teamwork environment.
- Receptive to and ability to adapt quickly to change.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, biology or other related science field or an equivalent combination ofeducation and clinical experience.
- Completion of a Histotechnology training program is necessary.
- HT (ASCP) certification or equivalent registry is desirable.
- Previous histotechnology experience is desirable
- A minimum of 2 years of experience is required.
- An Associate’s degree in relevant science and HT (ASCP) preferred, or an equivalent combination ofeducation and experience.
- Some histology laboratory experience preferred
- 0-2 years of experience
- College course work, Associate or Bachelor's degree preferred. HT (ASCP) or HTL (ASCP) certification preferred.
- Lean knowledge and application desirable
This full time. 40 hour position is on the afternoon shift, schedule is M-F 8 hours.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.