How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached to the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The mission of Michigan Medicine is to create the future of healthcare through the discovery of new knowledge for the benefit of patients and society; to educate the next generation of physicians, nurses, health professionals, and scientists; and serve the health needs of our citizens. Michigan Medicine refers to the university´s academic medical center which includes all the patient care, education, and research areas, and ranks as one of the top academic health centers in the country.
This position is a member of the Office of the Associate Chief Nursing Officer (ACNO) for C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital. The person in this role will directly support and report to the ACNO, as well as partner with the Nursing Executive administrative team supporting the Chief Nursing Officer for the Children’s & Women’s Hospital (C&W) to provide overall support for the administrative and operational functions.
The successful candidate in this role will be responsible for the day-to-day function of the ACNO, as well as work together with the Nursing Executive administrative team to provide overall support for the administrative and operational functions. The employee will represent the office of the ACNO in a professional manner, interacting daily with UMHS leadership, departmental customers, and administrative professional peers. The candidate must be able to maintain the confidentiality of the office as required in supporting executive-level personnel. This position involves a high degree of flexibility, requiring the ability to work proactively, both independently and as part of a team, with initiative and creativity. Position requires the confidence and competence to make independent decisions on matters of significance free from the immediate direction. The person in this role is joining a team whose foundation is based upon the UMHS Values of Caring, Teamwork, Innovation, and Trust, and will be expected to adopt and follow these values as they execute the responsibilities of this role.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations, and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research, and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally, and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education, and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- 2:1 Match on retirement savings
Supervise, manage, and direct the administrative and operational activities of the ACNO which include, but are not limited to:
- Perform advanced, diversified, and confidential administrative duties in support of the ACNO, requiring broad and comprehensive experience, outstanding interpersonal skills, and independent judgment based upon experience.
- Manage correspondence and communication (verbal, written, and e-mail) using independent judgment, and requiring a high degree of confidentiality, discretion, and professionalism.
- Provide high-level, pro-active support for executive and other key meetings, including scheduling, preparing the meeting material and agenda content tracking and preparation, attending meetings, taking minutes and/or notes, tracking action items and decisions made, and generating all necessary follow-up correspondence to ensure work is completed as appropriate to support related meeting business, projects and/or phases of associated projects, and to prep for subsequent meetings
- Provide complex calendar management, exercising discretion and judgment to analyze and appropriately prioritize complicated and challenging calendars
- Develop, execute, and manage a plan for coordinating Mott Hospital events, retreats, and site visits as needed, including timeline development, action items, budget planning, and reconciliation, logistics, agenda planning, and catering
- Responsible for defined parts of small projects or phases of larger projects in support of the ACNO, as well as the Nursing Executive Office and C&W segment initiatives
- Resolve routine and complex inquiries from inception to resolution, including those regarding highly confidential matters and urgent/emergent operations issues, in a timely and efficient manner
- Screens/triaging telephone calls and visitors
- Human resources: timekeeping, payroll, and managing annual performance evaluation process for direct reports, etc.
- Coordinates all aspects of business travel itineraries and arrangements as business necessitates
- Provide and coordinate information and materials for upcoming presentations and/or analysis
- Assists with designing, editing, and reviewing presentation materials for content, grammatical, and/or presentation style correction, ensuring that deadlines are met, and all materials required are correct and assembled
- Work together with the Nursing Executive team to ensure the overall successful administrative and operational functions.
- Provide cross-coverage for the Nursing Executive-level leadership team
- Accesses, understands, and appropriately utilizes UM proprietary database/software systems (M-Pathways, Finance BI (Oracle), Concur, PDS3, MReports, etc.)
- Reconcile P-Cards and other expense reports
- Other responsibilities and/or projects as assigned
- Note: The scheduled work hours for this position are M-F, 8-5 p.m.
- Associate or bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience with 3-4 four years of executive-level administrative office experience supporting executive leaders and initiatives including those with a large scope, timelines, and budgets
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, showing sound judgment based upon experience, as well as the capability to work as part of a diverse team in a professional and collaborative manner
- Ability to analyze, compare, and evaluate various courses of action, and make independent decisions on matters of significance free from the immediate direction.
- Experience with project coordination and support
- Must be able to analyze, manage and appropriately prioritize scheduling for extremely busy high-level calendars
- Ability to assess competing priorities, manage workflow, and meet operational deadlines.
- The skill to handle confidential materials and situations with professionalism, sensitivity, and discretion is required.
- Exceptional customer service skills and professional demeanor
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a high degree of interpersonal skills
- Exemplary attention to detail with strong proofreading and grammar skills
- Demonstrated strong Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel) skills
- Familiarity with a broad range of UM proprietary applications such as Concur, Finance BI, M-Pathways
- Must be flexible, resourceful, and work well under pressure
- Associate or Bachelor's Degree
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience within Michigan Medicine
The scheduled work hours for this position are M-F, 8-5 p.m.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third-party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.