How to Apply
To apply, please submit the following in this order as one document: 1) a cover letter detailing previous research and laboratory experience and interest in this position, and 2) a current resume
The Department of Epidemiology at the University of Michigan, School of Public is seeking a research lab specialist. This is an opportunity to work with Dr. Aubree Gordon's infectious diseases research group on the transmission and epidemiologic features of influenza and SARS-CoV-2. Specifically, for this project, we will be looking at natural and vaccine-induced immunity to SARS-CoV-2. There will also be opportunities to work on our study examining the transmission of influenza in urban households and the development of immunity to influenza in children.
- General laboratory maintenance including including equipment and inventory supply lists. Coordinate the sending and receiving of samples and supplies in the lab that go to and from other research groups and business entities outside of the University.
- Conduct experiments under the direction of lab manager and faculty. Prepare solutions and media, sample aliquoting, test human serum samples for SARS-CoV-2 or influenza antibodies.
- Extract samples and molecular testing for respiratory viruses including influenza virus, RSV, and human metapnuemovirus.
- Enter in laboratory results and performing periodic quality control checks of databases. Work with group data manager to maintain a inventory database of samples.
- Train students in the proper use and maintenance of equipment, and preparation of solutions, media, etc.
For Intermediate level, a Master's degree in Biological Sciences, Medical technology or closely related area with 4-5 years of relevant experience is required. For Associate level, a Bachelor's degree and 1-3 years of experience is required. Applicant should have academic knowledge of Biological Sciences and the ability to apply that knowledge in a laboratory setting. Excellent organizational and communication (oral and written).
Prior laboratory-based experience with serological techniques (ELISA, ELLA, PCR, or HAI) qPCR and/or viral culture is a plus. Experience with relevant software, e.g. freezerworks, access, excel, and databases.
This position may be underfilled at the Associate level depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate. The salary range for the Associate level is $41,699-51,510, and the salary range for the Intermediate level is $51,519-63,641.
This is a term-limited appointment for one year with the potential for an extension depending upon available research funding and performance.
Michigan Public Health is seeking a dynamic staff member with a commitment to contributing to a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment for all members of our community.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.