Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- 2:1 Match on retirement savings
- Provide day-to-day administrative supervision of qualified personnel receiving, shipping and manufacturing cellular therapy materials and performing and, reporting high complexity test results where applicable
- Schedule employees to provide adequate and equitable staffing of all areas.
- Supervise and coordinate daily operational lab activities.
- Be always accessible to personnel manufacturing or testing is performed to provide on-site, telephone, or electronic consultation to resolve technical problems in accordance with policies and procedures established either by the laboratory director or technical supervisor.
- Provide staff with ongoing information and assistance to perform their duties.
- Monitor and make changes to workflow to achieve maximum productivity and quality.
- Serve as resource person for technical and procedural problems from staff and other customers.
- Develop, modify, and implement new and revised policies and procedures.
- Establish an atmosphere that satisfies employees physical needs and safety.
- Responsible for monitoring cellular product manufacturing, test analyses, specimen examinations and to ensure acceptable performance is maintained.
- Assure that all remedial actions are taken whenever systems deviate from the laboratory?s established performance specifications.
- Coordinate, implement, and participate in monitoring the laboratory Quality Assurance Program.
- Assist with compliance of regulatory and accrediting agency rules and regulations (CLIA where applicable, CAP, AABB, FDA and FACT).
- Provide or coordinate orientation to lab and department policies to all assigned personnel.
- Review and approve training and competency checklists. Oversee and evaluate training of all personnel performing cellular product manufacturing and laboratory testing where applicable.
- Develop performance objectives for each employee and conduct formal reviews at least annually. Evaluate skills and assess educational and training needs periodically.
- Provide timely and constructive feedback. Participate in the resolution of employee complaints. Counsel and discipline as necessary.
- Enforce attendance policy and approve payroll for direct reports.
- Approve time off or schedule changes.
- Prepare or oversee work schedules and assign duties to workers in the laboratory.
- Provide an environment which motivates and enriches staff. Assist staff in personal and professional development. Work with staff to improve workflow/efficiencies that are most important to the operations of the laboratory.
- Create opportunities for self and others to obtain additional skills and knowledge through a variety of methods.
- Work in cooperation with the management team to optimize workflow within the laboratory, to continually improve operations and to plan future changes for the laboratory. Actively participate in setting goals and objectives for the lab.
- Take an active part in creating laboratory policy, organizational decisions, selecting candidates, introducing new procedures.
- Work with Section Directors and/or Lab Manager to evaluate and recommend changes to the lab including equipment, supplies, and staffing.
- Keep Lab Manager and Section Directors informed of problem or changes in procedures that impact the section or shift.
Perform Cellular Therapy Product Manufacturing:
- Maintain expertise/competency in at least one area under supervision to be able to adequately assess performance of staff and to provide assistance in event of short staffing situations.
- Perform cellular processing, cryopreservation, thawing and assist with infusions as necessary.
- Assist in the ordering, distribution, and maintenance of supplies.
- Serve as resource person for technical and procedural problems from staff and outside institutions.
- Assist staff in personal and professional development.
- Actively participate in internal and external continuing education programs, internal and external assessments as requested.
In order to be considered for this position the applicant must have met or will have met all the required qualifications prior to the start date of employment.
- A baccalaureate degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences equivalent laboratory science or in a chemical, physical or biological science.
- Certified as a Medical Laboratory Scientist, Medical Technologist or Blood Bank Technologist MLS(ASCP), MT(ASCP), MT(AMT), or BB(ASCP)
- Must have a minimum of 5 years (post-training), clinical experience relevant to the position.
- Must demonstrate the ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and effectively with other medical personnel in both verbal and written form; demonstrated ability to independently organize and prioritize work, and to exercise initiative in recognizing and solving problems. Demonstrate ability to work effectively with a diverse team.
- Certification as a Specialist in Blood Bank SBB (ASCP) or Certified Advanced Biotherapies Professional (CABP)
- Demonstrate the ability to independently organize and prioritize work.
- Demonstrate the ability to work effectively with a diverse team.
This position is a minimum of 40 hours on the day shift, with rotating on-call and weekends or holidays as needed.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.