How to Apply
Applications are welcomed and encouraged from all qualified individuals regardless of background and identity. A one-page cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline experience that directly relates to it.
This is a student summer internship position with Matthaei Botanical Gardens and Nichols Arboretum. The Development Assistant Intern will work alongside the Development team of professionals to gain experience in all phases of development, including donor stewardship, event planning, customer service, volunteer coordination, and more. The internship program runs May 6 through late August and may include evening and weekend hours.
Who We Are
University of Michigan?s Matthaei Botanical Gardens and Nichols Arboretum (MBGNA) stewards over 840 acres of land and water across four properties in and around Ann Arbor, with Nichols Arboretum and Matthaei Botanical Gardens serving as its two anchor locations. Click here to view our Strategic Plan. With more than 500,000 annual visitors, MBGNA is committed to becoming a transformative force for social and ecological resilience through the lands and waters we steward. We put that commitment into action by:
- Positioning humans as active participants within the natural world and compelling the university community and our publics to negotiate the full complexity that entails
- Advancing partnerships, programs, user experience, and all that we steward to catalyze equity and justice in a radically changing world
- Emerging as University of Michigan?s premier partner for research, teaching, and public impact in sustainability, climate-forward practices, and biocultural diversity
- Promoting healthier communities, cultures, and ecosystems through active care and cultivation of the gardens, fields, natural habitats, and dynamic systems that sustain our world.
MBGNA seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitments to serve the diverse people of Michigan and sustain the excellence of University of Michigan.
- Work with our Volunteer and Membership Engagement Manager and Visitor Experience Team to coordinate and support events that engage donors, including: plant sales, Shakespeare in the Arb, Gaffield Children?s Garden 15-year anniversary celebrations and other similar public-facing events. Tasks include preparation of printed materials, space planning, reservations, event support, and coordinating volunteers.
- Work with our Assistant Director of Annual Giving to coordinate and support stewardship efforts including: auditing our tribute trees and benches in the field, developing enhanced stewardship solutions for our members and donors.
- Graduated high school and currently enrolled in a college/university by the internship start date of May 6, 2024, or a December 2023 or spring 2024 college or university graduate.
- Experience in customer service, volunteer coordination, event planning or related experience
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Weekend and evening availability for events
- Work with the public in various settings (outdoors, greenhouses, indoors)
- In-person work, 40 hours/week for 16 weeks from May to the end of August.
- Potential to continue part-time through Fall term and may renew in Winter term.
- Some evening and weekend hours may be required.
- Compensation: $15.00/hour
- For more information about Matthaei Botanical Gardens and Nichols Arboretum, please visit mbgna.umich.edu
Job openings are posted for at least seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled at any time after the minimum posting period has ended. Applications will be reviewed as received throughout the posting period and continue until the position is filled.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.