How to Apply
Applications are welcomed and encouraged from all qualified individuals regardless of background and identity. A one-page cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline experience that directly relates to it.
This is a student summer internship position with Matthaei Botanical Gardens and Nichols Arboretum. Working within the Education team, the University Outreach intern position will start in July and will continue through October 2024. Intern will plan and conduct coordinating University engagement activities. University student welcome-back activities, Nature Rx experiences, represent MBGNA at fall campus events, and coordinate University engagement activities through October. Intern will gain experience in community outreach and peer leadership. The internship program includes evening and weekend hours.
Who We Are
University of Michigan's Matthaei Botanical Gardens and Nichols Arboretum (MBGNA) stewards over 840 acres of land and water across four properties in and around Ann Arbor, with Nichols Arboretum and Matthaei Botanical Gardens serving as its two anchor locations. Click here to view our Strategic Plan. With more than 500,000 annual visitors, MBGNA is committed to becoming a transformative force for social and ecological resilience through the lands and waters we steward. We put that commitment into action by:
- Positioning humans as active participants within the natural world and compelling the university community and our publics to negotiate the full complexity that entails
- Advancing partnerships, programs, user experience, and all that we steward to catalyze equity and justice in a radically changing world
- Emerging as University of Michigan's premier partner for research, teaching, and public impact in sustainability, climate-forward practices, and biocultural diversity
- Promoting healthier communities, cultures, and ecosystems through active care and cultivation of the gardens, fields, natural habitats, and dynamic systems that sustain our world.
MBGNA seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitments to serve the diverse people of Michigan and sustain the excellence of University of Michigan.
- Plan and conduct University student welcome-back activities
- Nature Rx experiences, (restorative activities in nature)
- Represent MBGNA at fall campus events, including Festifall, Earthfest
- Coordinating University engagement activities, such as Nature Walks
- Scheduling course visits to MBGNA sites.
- Graduated high school and currently enrolled in a college/university by the internship start date of May 6, 2024, or a December 2023 or spring 2024 college or university graduate.
- Enjoy working with University peers in a leadership role
- Have a strong interest in plants, nature and people
- Enjoy working outdoors
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Knowledge of Nichols Arboretum and Matthaei Botanical Gardens
- This position is from July through October 2024.
- Intern will work 32-40 hours/week in July and August, switching to fewer work hours in September and October to accommodate Fall semester student schedule (6-12 hours/week if necessary)
- Hours will include some weekend and evening programs.
- Primarily in-person with options for some hybrid work.
- Compensation: $15/hour
- For more information about Matthaei Botanical Gardens and Nichols Arboretum, please visit mbgna.umich.edu
Job openings are posted for at least seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled at any time after the minimum posting period has ended. Applications will be reviewed as received throughout the posting period and continue until the position is filled.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.