How to Apply
Applications are welcomed and encouraged from all qualified individuals regardless of background and identity. A one-page cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline experience that directly relates to it.
This is a student summer internship position with Matthaei Botanical Gardens and Nichols Arboretum. Within the Visitor Experience department, the SITA Production Assistant position is a 6 (six) week position working closely with MBGNA staff and SITA directorial teams to manage the operations of staging "As you Like It" for the complete run of the show. This position will be based primarily at Nichols Arboretum and will run for six weeks beginning Wednesday, May 22, 2024 through Sunday, June 30, 2024, with the possibility of returning in fall for the Labor Day performances of the play during U-M Welcome Week. Work hours are 2pm to 10pm, Wednesdays through Sundays.
Who We Are
University of Michigan's Matthaei Botanical Gardens and Nichols Arboretum (MBGNA) stewards over 840 acres of land and water across four properties in and around Ann Arbor, with Nichols Arboretum and Matthaei Botanical Gardens serving as its two anchor locations. Click here to view our Strategic Plan. With more than 500,000 annual visitors, MBGNA is committed to becoming a transformative force for social and ecological resilience through the lands and waters we steward. We put that commitment into action by:
- Positioning humans as active participants within the natural world and compelling the university community and our publics to negotiate the full complexity that entails
- Advancing partnerships, programs, user experience, and all that we steward to catalyze equity and justice in a radically changing world
- Emerging as University of Michigan's premier partner for research, teaching, and public impact in sustainability, climate-forward practices, and biocultural diversity
- Promoting healthier communities, cultures, and ecosystems through active care and cultivation of the gardens, fields, natural habitats, and dynamic systems that sustain our world.
MBGNA seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitments to serve the diverse people of Michigan and sustain the excellence of University of Michigan.
- Training and managing volunteer ushers
- Audience management which includes preparing tickets, managing box office reports, directing attendees
- Transporting personnel and equipment with a golf cart
- Opening and closing the Nichols Arboretum Visitor Center
- Graduated high school and currently enrolled in a college/university by the internship start date of May 6, 2024, or a December 2023 or spring 2024 college or university graduate.
- This position requires a valid driver's license and a motor vehicle record check in order to operate a golf cart or other MBGNA vehicles.
- Must be able to work outside for hours in a variety of weather conditions.
- One in-person internship, 40 hours/week
- Hours: 2 p.m. to 10 p.m., Wednesdays through Sundays
- Compensation: $15.00 per hour
- Work locations at Nichols Arboretum, located at 1610 Washington Heights, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- This position will run for six weeks beginning Wednesday, May 22, 2024 through Sunday, June 30, 2024, with the possibility of returning in fall for the Labor Day performances of the play during U-M Welcome Week.
- For more information about Matthaei Botanical Gardens and Nichols Arboretum, please visit mbgna.umich.edu
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.