University of Michigan's Custodial and Grounds Services (CGS) is currently seeking temporary Groundskeepers. Serving the U-M community, Custodial & Grounds Services are the stewards of the buildings and grounds that make the Ann Arbor campus of the University of Michigan unique.
As stewards for the outdoor properties of the U-M’s Ann Arbor Campus, Grounds Services provides horticultural and groundskeeping maintenance. Our specialized crews are dedicated professionals who pride themselves in caring for the university’s 1200 acres of maintained green space as well as other natural areas.
The Groundskeeper will maintain grounds by mowing, string trimming, weeding, cultivating, raking, and pruning shrubs, grass, or planting ground cover; maintaining planting beds loading and unloading trucks; and transporting refuse or other materials as needed.
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future.
Why Work at Michigan?
Being part of something greater, of serving a larger mission of discovery and care — that's the heart of what drives people to work at Michigan. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. It's adding a purpose to your profession. Work at Michigan and become a victor for the greater good.
- Assist in lawn care & turf maintenance
- Picking litter
- Weeding and maintenance of planting and perennial beds
- Cleaning of hardscape surfaces
- Other tasks as assigned by supervision
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Valid Driver's License
- Must be able to work well in a team environment
- Must be able to position self to perform a wide range of physical activities including pushing, pulling, kneeling, and reaching, including around obstacles, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Must be able to effectively communicate with and follow instructions from co-workers, supervisors, customers, and facility managers.
- Strong work ethic
- Your willingness to learn
- Your desire to work OUTSIDE everyday in ANY weather
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks
Work schedules vary by crew, however most temporary groundskeepers work Mon-Fri 6:00 am - 2:30 pm with a 30-minute unpaid lunch break.
The starting pay for this temporary position is $17.00.
Facilities and Operations seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students, richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.