The Department of MM Orthotics&Prosthetics Ctr is seeking a Certified Orthotic and Prosthetic Technician to work at the Orthotics and Prosthetics Center.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world?s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- 2:1 Match on retirement savings
? Independently fabricate Orthotic and Prosthetic devices according to clinical work order. Deliver a professionally fabricated device to provide the patient optimal fit, function, cosmesis and workmanship.
? Follow procedures as dictated by Lean Thinking guidelines.
? Fabricate orthoses to support the orthotist in providing care to patients with congenital and/or traumatic disabling conditions of the musculoskeletal structure of the body.
? Fabricate prostheses to support the prosthetist in providing care to patients with partial or total absence of a limb.
? Perform repairs and maintenance of orthotic and prosthetic devices
? Provides on-call & walk-in coverage as needed.
? Assist in training and orienting fellow orthotic and/or prosthetic technicians, O&P residents, students and volunteers.
? Perform additional duties as assigned by Orthotic and Prosthetic Fabrication Laboratory Manager and O&P Clinical and Technical Director.
- Certification as an Orthotic/Prosthetic Technician by the American Board Certification in Orthotics and Prosthetics is necessary (CTPO)
- Prior experience in orthotics and prosthetic fabrication
- Ability to efficiently meet deadlines while maintaining quality in a fast paced environment
- Must have excellent communication, customer service, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as a team member as well as independently
- Self-starter with the ability to train, motivate and educate staff
- Creative craftsman with proven problem solving skills
- Must keep up to date on all fabricating techniques
- Must be familiar with properties of pertinent materials
- Must be skilled in the use of appropriate equipment
- Requires registration, certification or licensure with the appropriate agency as identified by the Primary Source Verification Matrix.
Requirements for Non-Certified Orthotic & Prosthetic Technician
- May just be starting training or has completed on the job training or an accredited technician program and is training for or is eligible for American Board for Certification in Orthotics and Prosthetics, Inc. (ABC) technician examination
- Specific training in fabrication of upper extremity prosthetics
- Minimum of three years' experience as an ABC Certified Orthotic and Prosthetic Technician
- Current with certification and new fabricating techniques
Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 5PM.
PM&R Orthotics & Prosthetics Center, Industrial Hwy., Ann Arbor
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.